Search

Saturday 19 August 2017

Diego Costa is in Chelsea’s past and I wouldn’t pick him, says Antonio Conte


Antonio Conte has responded to Diego Costa’s claims that Chelsea have treated him “like a criminal” by saying that the striker is in the club’s past.

Costa is determined to force a path back to Atlético Madrid and believes Chelsea are pricing him out of a move to his former club. He has defied Chelsea by refusing to return to training before a possible transfer and has spent the past week niggling the champions in a series of outspoken interviews from Brazil.

Chelsea are insistent the player, who has two years left on his contract, should maintain his fitness and make himself available for selection. Yet Conte’s stance seems at odds with the club’s. Chelsea’s manager laughed when Costa’s comments were put to him and ruled out the prospect of ever picking him again. “It’s great,” Conte said. “I prefer to laugh. I can tell you that everyone who was in Chelsea knows very well what happened last season with Diego. It’s funny, this interview.”

Conte was pressed on whether he would select the Spain forward if he returns to London. “No,” the Italian said. “I’m not interested to continue this issue. I repeat: for me, is in the past.” A Chelsea spokesman added: “Antonio’s not wanting to comment further on this subject and neither are the club.

“Our position is clear. I don’t think that’s something we’ll get into publicly. As a Chelsea player we’ve said he should return to Chelsea and that’s where we’ll leave it.”

Costa has made life difficult for Chelsea since going public with claims in June that Conte told him in a text message he was not part of his plans. Chelsea, who play Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley on Sunday after opening their title defence with a shambolic home defeat by Burnley last weekend, contend that the forward and his agent, Jorge Mendes, have known since January that he could leave this summer.

However, Costa is frustrated Chelsea continue to ask Atlético for £50m. He said on Thursday his destination for this season was “already defined” but on Friday he admitted he might have to change his plans if negotiations with the Spaniards continue to move slowly. Chelsea signed the 28-year-old for £32m from Atlético three years ago and he believes they should lower their valuation.

“I’ve demonstrated I care for Atlético and have interest in playing for them,” Costa told ESPN Brazil. “But if Atlético and Chelsea don’t come to an agreement and Atlético don’t make a big effort, I can’t keep on wanting to play for a club that isn’t going to make a bigger effort to try and sign me.

“I know this [big effort] will happen, but, if it’s to pay the amount that Chelsea want, it won’t be possible. What I know is this offer Chelsea will get is bigger than what they paid, so I’ve given them something back in all senses.

“My agent said Chelsea want something that Atlético can’t get near. When we heard Conte didn’t want me any more, my agent went to find out if there was interest from Atlético for me coming back. Of course for the warmth and respect that I earned there, they showed interest. But they wouldn’t pay a fortune.”

Costa wants to decide his own future after helping Chelsea to win the league twice in three seasons. “Chelsea have offered me to several clubs but I was very clear with them,” he said. “I said if I’m not part of the manager’s plans I would like to choose my destination. I’m not going to let them decide just to get more money.

“I think they should take into account everything I’ve done. It’s not my fault that I’m not at the club. If it was down to me I’d be playing. It’s already been one month. Holidays are good but it gets tiresome.”


Friends, if you like this post kindly comment below and do share your responds Thanks for reading

No comments: