Search

Tuesday 5 September 2017

Some of my best friends are vegans, says Jeremy Corbyn, but I’m not one


Labour party leader admits he is ‘going through the process’ of not eating any animal-derived food but isn’t there yet

Jeremy Corbyn has said he is increasingly eating vegan food but Labour has denied he is switching to a diet without animal products.

The Labour leader said he was “going through the process” of eating more vegan food after decades of being a vegetarian because it is improving in quality.

But a Labour spokesman denied he was in the process of becoming a vegan, saying he had simply meant to talk about eating more vegan-friendly food.

Corbyn made the comments when asked whether he would ever make the jump to veganism at an event hosted by Lush cosmetics.

He replied: “It’s a fair question. I eat more and more vegan food, and have more and more vegan friends, indeed there are quite a lot of vegan MPs actually – not a lot but there are some. I think what has improved so much is vegetarian and vegan food has got so much better in recent years.

“I got fed up of going on a plane in the 1980s and everyone would get their regulation rubber chicken and whatever with it.

“I would say ‘where is my lunch?’ and they would say ‘yours is a special meal’, like there is something badly wrong with you and they would bring this thing along. It was usually pretty grim when it got there.

“The food has got a lot better and vegan food – one of my close relatives has just become a vegan and I went to her house for dinner and it was absolutely brilliant.

“So I’m going through the process all right? I won’t go any further than that.”

Labour said the comments should only be taken to mean that he is eating more vegan food and not that he is adopting a completely new diet.

Vegans avoid all animal products including eggs and dairy, while vegetarians avoid just meat and fish.

Friends, if you like this post kindly comment below and do share your responds Thanks for reading

No comments: